This year, affected by the new crown epidemic, the supply of PCB raw materials is insufficient, and the prices of raw materials are also rising. PCB related industries have also been greatly affected. For the normal progress of the project, engineers have to consider optimizing designs to reduce PCB costs. Then, what factors will affect PCB manufacturing costs?
Main factors effect your PCB cost
1. PCB size and quantity
It’s easy to understand how size and quantity will affects the cost of PCB,size and quantity will consume more materials.
2. The types of substrate materials used
Some special materials used in some specific working environment would be much more expensive than normal materials.fabricating Printed Circuit Boards depends on several application- based factors, governed mainly by frequency and speed of operation, and the maximum operating temperature.
3. Number of layers
more layers translate into additional costs because of more production steps, more material, and additional production time.
4. PCB complexity
PCB complexity depends on the number of layers and the number of vias on each layer, as this defines the variations of layers where the vias start and stop on, requiring so much more lamination and drilling steps in the PCB manufacturing process. Manufacturers define the lamination process as pressing two copper layers and dielectrics in between adjacent copper layers using heat and pressure to form a multi- layer PCB laminate.
How to optimize your design?
1. Track and gap geometry- thinner is more expensive.
2. Control of impedance- additional process steps increase costs.
3. Size and count of holes- more holes and smaller diameters drives costs upwards.
4. Plugged or filled vias and whether they are copper covered- additional process steps increase costs.
5. Copper thickness in the layers- higher thickness means higher costs.
6. Surface finish, use of gold and its thickness- Additional material and process steps increases costs.
7. Tolerances- tighter tolerances are expensive.
The other factors effect your cost.
These minor cost factors involving category III are dependent on both, the fabricator and the application of the PCB. They mainly involve:
1. PCB thickness
2. Various surface treatments
3. Solder masking
4. Legend printing
5. PCB performance class (IPC Class II/ III etc.)
6. PCB contour- specifically for z- axis routing
7. Side or edge plating
PHILIFAST will give you the best suggestions accordingly to help you lower you cost of PCB boards.
Post time: Jul-14-2021